Tuesday 12 June 2012

recipe

Soup...
You may have noticed in the photos from my last post we picked a small harvest of lemons and pumpkins from our backyard.  



Last night I made a simple pumpkin soup with one pumpkin and I also saved some pumpkin to make pumpkin scones.  Enjoy. 


Pumpkin Soup
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4-6

40g butter
1 large brown onion, chopped coarsely
1.5kg pumpkin, chopped coarsely
2 large potatoes, chopped coarsely
1 litre chicken stock
½ cup cream

1.    Melt butter in large saucepan; cook onion, stirring, until soft.  Stir in pumpkin and potato; cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
2.   Stir in stock, bring to a boil; simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until pumpkin is soft, stirring occasionally.
3.   Blend or process soup, until pureed.
4.   Just before serving, add cream; stir over heat until soup is hot.  Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and a few chives, if desired. 

My Notes:
·    I often use less chicken stock liquid.  Using the pumpkin and potato in the saucepan as a guide, I only pour the chicken stock liquid to ½ way.  I find that if I cover saucepan with a lid and bring to the boil the pumpkin and potato reduces into the stock as it boils.  Once pureed, the soup is thick and you can add more water/chicken stock liquid for a consistency that you like if desired at the end. 
  • I often leave out the cream, sour cream and chives altogether.
  • Always make more as this is a great left over for lunch the next day. 
  • This soup recipe also goes well served with garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...