Sunday 30 March 2014

in my kitchen

It is more than likely that on any given Sunday you will find me in my kitchen.  Since the beginning of the school term I have spent every Sunday in the kitchen preparing meals and baking for the week ahead.  Today was no different. Since this is the last week of school for the term, I needed old family favourite recipes; recipes I know how to do with my eyes closed and that I know will be enjoyed. 
Some things I cooked and baked in the kitchen today:
  • Vegetable soup: eaten for brunch.  Loaded with vegies and finely sliced ginger. 
  • Banana Bread: use ripe bananas.  This recipe ensures no bananas are wasted in our house.  
  • Chocolate cake: a no fail recipe.  I love this recipe as it is easy and the cake is light.  Perfect with or without frosting.  
  • Satay Chicken and stir-fry vegies with noodles: our dinner tonight.
  • Seed mix (for Cobie): a great topping for yoghurt, porridge etc. 
Banana Bread Recipe

125g butter, softened
1 cup (175g) brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups mashed bananas
1¾ cups  plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
1 tsp bicarbonate of (baking) soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
cup golden syrup
butter, extra, to serve

  1. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).  Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes or until pale and creamy.
  2. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Gradually add the eggs and beat well to combine.
  3. Add the banana, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and golden syrup and stir to combine.
  4. Spoon the mixture into a 26cmx11cm (2.5 litre-capacity) lightly greased loaf tin lined with baking paper.  Bake for 60-65 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. 
  5. Cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.  Slice and serve with extra butter.
Seed Mix (for Cobie)
This is my own experiment for my friend Cobie (previous post).  Cobie is not a fan of nuts (I only found this out after I gave her a jar full of activated nuts that I prepared myself).  Since then, I have been experimenting on a seed mix.  I sourced the organic ingredients via health food stores and health section in local grocery store.  You really have to just judge the amounts per ingredient and adjust the portions to your liking.
  

I lightly toasted the following ingredients one at a time:
  • pepitas
  • sunflower seeds
  • coconut flakes
  • flax seeds
I also added (without toasting):
  • chai seeds (black and white)
  • goii berries
  • ground flaxseed with almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts and CoQ10 (Shhhh don't tell her. I only added a little bit and since it was ground I am hoping she doesn't take much notice)
If you really don't like nuts omit the last ingredient. 
 

A tablespoon here and there on yoghurt, porridge, chai pudding, salads etc. would add an extra crunch and flavour.
Fingers crossed she likes it!

You can find more of my favourite recipes here.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...